Friday, March 26, 2010

Buying prescription glasses online - a review of eyewear retailers

Matthew Curry has posted on Econsultancy.com a really descriptive review of his experience buying a new pair of prescription eye glasses from online retailers. It covers a lot of points that I agree with such as:

- Virtual Mirrors and Actual glasses on Actual people
People don't buy a particular frame because it looks good on a shelf or behind a lightbox. They pay top dollar for glasses frames because it makes their face look good. One of the biggest barriers of online eyewear retailers is that you cannot try on the glasses, as opposed to an offline store where you just pick up the glasses instore, pop it on and check yourself out in the mirror.

Takeout for online stores: Please offer the virtual mirror or at the very least feature photos of people with the glasses on.

- Face Shapes
Matthew doesn't believe that face shapes contribute at all to helping choose the right frame for your face. I'm still trying to figure out what my face shape is - I can never see myself in those Round/Heart/Square face diagrams.

However, a trick I learnt from my boyfriend who used to work at Sunglass Hut many years ago is to match your glasses with the shape/curve of your eyebrows.

I look forward to reading Matthew's follow up post which will be about the delivery of his order and the actual goods itself.

What has been your experience ordering glasses online? Or even better for me personally, what's your trick to finding your face shape besides looking at clip art type figures?

Check out his full review: http://econsultancy.com/blog/5363-buying-glasses-online-short-sighted-thinking-from-retailers

0 comments:

Post a Comment